Centre for community resilience & engagement
This centre is volunteer run and offers English for speakers of other languages (ESO) as well as a variety of other higher level training such as International English Language Testing system classes, citizenship courses, Employability and Life in the UK courses.
The centre open to all refugees and asylum seekers within Kingston or surrounding boroughs.
The centre provides the following opportunities:
- Informal English classes (Pre-entry to Entry 2)
- Information events (e.g. health, employment)
- Trips to local services and attractions
- Meeting friends
- Crèche and activities for children aged 0-5 (Monday and Thursday only)
- Drinks and healthy lunch
See the Learning Centre in action
Please register at the Refugee Action Kingston office before attending the Learning Centre, which is held in Piper Hall, Kingston.
Learners can attend the Learning Centre on Mondays and Thursdays or Wednesdays and Fridays.
- Monday 10-12 (ESOL), 12.15 - 1.15 (Exercise class)
- Wednesday 10-12 (ESOL), 12.30 - 2.30 (Yoga class)
- Thursday 10-12 (ESOL), 12.30 - 1.30 (Extra activities)
- Friday 10-12 (ESOL), 12.15 - 1.30 (News club)
‘I can say that from a teaching point of view this is a valuable organisation filling a gap that would otherwise exist in ESOL provision in the local area. The Learning Centre provides an invaluable service to its students, most of whom are unable to access mainstream courses, for example those provided at Kingston College. The service deserves continued support. There are several profiles of students who are not able to access course at Kingston College, for example: those with basic literacy needs, women with young children, low paid part time workers, asylum seekers in the UK for less than 6 months and those in receipt of state benefits. All these groups can benefit greatly from classes at the RAK Learning Centre, and it is hoped that this provision continues and develops further to meet this specific need.'
Nicola Bamford, Head of section - ESOL & EFL, Kingston College