Volunteer Role: ESOL Classroom Assistant
Published date: 01 September 2017
Closing date: 31 October 2017
Main objectives of the role:
We are recruiting volunteer ESOL Classroom Assistants to spend three to six hours per week supporting the ESOL Tutor in the delivery of our new Pre- entry ESOL classes from August to December 2017.
This is a central role in helping refugees to improve their English language skills for employment and provide refugees an opportunity to develop their potential, achieve their employment goals and lead more independent lives.
The Pre entry ESOL course is funded by the Big Lottery Fund and is part of BBO Raise (Building Better Opportunities) Programme.
- Experience of teaching English for speakers of other languages or as a foreign language.
- Able to clearly communicate and teach English to refugees and asylum seekers from a range of cultural backgrounds.
- Support with setting up the training room ready for lessons and clearing away at the end of the session.
- Leading sub groups or 1:1 sessions, as tutor directs, for those clients who may require extra support.
- Be flexible and respond to the learning needs of clients.
- Incorporate a culturally inclusive approach in teaching activities.
- Desirable: able to verbally communicate fluently in Farsi, Arabic, Tamil or Korean.
- Can maintain clear professional boundaries.
- Promote Refugee Action Kingston by presenting the aims and objectives with the aim of increasing awareness of the services.
- Have an interest in issues that affect refugees and asylum seekers from achieving their personal development objectives and gaining sustainable employment of their choice.
- Attend Refugee Action Kingston (RAK) Induction.
- Attend relevant training sessions and courses subsequent to RAK induction.
- Attend supervision meetings and group meetings as required.
- All volunteers will be asked if they are prepared to have a DBS check in accordance with national policy.
Direct supervision given by The Employment, Education and Volunteer Coordinator
Hours / Days / Location:
Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 1st August to 15th December 2017. All classes are delivered in Kingston upon Thames.
Additional information and application form can be found at https://www.refugeeactionkingston.org.uk/volunteering/
Please send your completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org