Volunteer – Finance Manager
Since its foundation in 1991, Refugee Action Kingston (RAK) has been the main provider of direct services to refugees and asylum seekers in Kingston.
We are reliant on dedicated volunteers to help us in our mission to support refugees to successfully integrate into their local community. We achieve this by delivering a variety of outcomes for refugee and asylum-seeking families through advice, information, counselling, education, training, and employment opportunities. Whether you’re helping in our offices, in our Learning Centre or working one-to-one, your support can have a powerful impact and long lasting effects.
Main purpose of the role
This voluntary role is an exciting opportunity to lead the accounting operations of RAK.
- Producing management and statutory accounts and reconciliations,
- Producing and monitoring budgets.
- Monitoring and reporting on project grants, monthly updating salary detail for bureau.
- Paying salaries and revenue, administering pension scheme, pay majority of invoices.
- Prepare audit file/independent examination, provide director support (info for bids etc.) and claim gift aid on donations.
- Commit to volunteering for a minimum of 12 months.
Skills, abilities and qualities
- Finance Manager should have an accountancy qualification and relevant business experience.
- Previous charity experience not a requirement, but helpful.
- A Finance Administrator reports to Finance Manager and will be responsible for data input in Sage 50, reconciling invoices, reconciling petty cash, banking donations, cheque payments, posting letters, coding invoices (Nominal and department codes), journals, researching proposed purchases for best price and verifying staff expenses.
- Work in a professional manner, implement confidentiality, safeguarding and maintain clear professional boundaries.
- To have good communication skills and enjoy working with people from diverse backgrounds.
Why Volunteer for RAK?
- Use your skills and experience to benefit a small charity that provides lasting impact for asylum seekers & refugee and their families
- Be part of an inspiring and supportive team.
- Build confidence and gain skills that could be useful in your own personal and career development.
The time commitment is two days a week. A commitment of 12 months in the role is preferred.
Induction and training
You will complete initial RAK volunteer training to get started.
- Regular contact with the staff team at RAK
- Bi-annual peer mentor group support
- Out of pocket expenses for meals, travel and childcare within agreed guidelines